Friday, October 8, 2010

Low-Cal, Dairy-Free Pumpkin Brownies

For dessert, I made pumpkin brownies! They are low-cal and dairy free. I didn't even use fake butter! I made the recipe myself. Here it is:
Ingredients:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground clove or 2 ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/3 cup canned pumpkin (about 1/3 standard can)
1 1/2 tablespoons oil (I prefer safflower or sunflower seed oil)
2/3 cup brown sugar (or 2/3 cup unrefined sugar and 2 teaspoons molasses
1 egg or for vegans egg substitute for 1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
A splash of strong coffee, optional but it brings out the flavors well
1/3 cup chocolate chips, optional
1/3 cup marshmallows, optional
1/3 cup nuts, optional

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degress F (or 180 degress C)
2. Measure the flours. Add the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, clove, and ginger.
3. Mix the pumkin, oil, and sugar together. Mix the coffee in. Add the egg (beaten) and the vanilla and mix together. Add the dry ingredients, a little at a time, until just combined.
4. Spread half the batter in a 9 x 9 x 2 inch buttered with flour, Earth Balanced with flour, oiled, or nonstick pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips, marshmallows, and/or whatever you want in your brownies! Pour the other half of the batter into the pan.
5. Bake for about 25 minutes, You may want to use the toothpick test to be sure if they are done. Take out of the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes. Eat up and enjoy!

Serves: 9
Calories: 109, Fat: 3.6g, Sat. Fat: 1.3g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 17mg, Sodium: 17mg, Carbs.: 17.6g, Fiber: .7g, Sugar: 10.6, Protein: 1.7, Vit. A: 22%, Vit. C: 1%, Calcium: 3%, Iron: 4%
Nutritional information above used only chocolate chips in the brownies.
It was amazing! This is one of the first (and certainly not the last) recipe I created myself! I loved the pumpkin flavors and the spices. I used chocolate chips and vegan marshmallows that I got from Sweet and Sara. I found that the brownie was inbetween fudgy and cakey, leaning a little on the cakey side. Personally, I like my brownies fudgy. For anyone like me, add more oil, half the egg/egg replacer, and/or take out some flour. For anyone who wants more cakey brownies (you weird peoples) add flour, add an egg and /or take away some of the oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment