Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Yankee Game, Sunday Morning Pancakes, and Whole Foods, Again

Though the Yankee game was kind of yesterday, it went so late that I think it went into today, just don't quote me on that. Despite how late it went, it was great and the Yankees won! They are going to the ALCS!
After sleeping a lot, it was Sunday Morning Pancakes, yet another tradition in my family. Every Sunday morning, we follow the same pancake recipe (unless we are making pumpkin pancakes which is coming soon...) Today, it was strawberry-walnut pancakes today. Because I hate strawberries in pancakes and I hate walnuts in general, it was plain pancakes for me. Even with the lack of fruit and nuts, there were still awesome pancakes. Here is the wonderful base of my mother's famous pancakes (this is classified family info I am sharing with you:)

Ingredients:
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (which I tend to forget)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg or substitute for 1 egg
1 cup milk or milk substitute (I always use almond milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons canola, safflower, or sunflower seed oil
Chopped fruit to taste, optional
Chopped nuts, to taste, optional

Directions:
1. Mix the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside
2. Mix the egg (beaten,) milk or milk substitute, oil, and vanilla extract together.
3. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until just combined. Add in any fruit or nuts you want.
4. Butter, Earth Balance, or oil a skillet and place some pancake batter on the pan. Flip the pancake(s) when the bottom starts to brown. When the new bottom starts to brown again, put it on a plate and finish cooking the rest of the pancake batter. Enjoy!

Fruits that work well in pancakes are bananas, plums, apples, blueberries, raspberries, peach, strawberries...
Nuts that work well in pancakes are pecans, walnuts, almonds, pistachios...

Serves: 3.5 Diner-Sized Pancakes
Calories: 254, Fat: 10.1g, Sat. Fat: .9g, Cholesterol: 53mg, Sodium: 230mg, Carbs.: 34.7g, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugar: 6g, Protein: 5.6g, Vit. A: 4%, Vit. C: 0%, Calcium: 19%, Iron: 13%
Information above has no nuts or fruit. It uses almond milk for the milk and a real egg.

The strangest thing happened to me while making the pancakes today! I cracked one egg open, and two yolks came out! I screamed. My mother came rushing over and was shocked. We did some research and it turns out that chickens whose bodies are new to the laying egg cycle sometimes have this problem. Different cultures see this as bad luck, many children in the future, or good luck. I don't know who to believe but I think I am going with whoever said that its good luck. We had to throw out one of the yolks despite my protests.

For dinner, after my self-defense class, I went to Whole Foods, again. I was planning on making tempeh sushi but made a last-minute change. I ended up making sushi rice for tomorrow. At Whole Foods, I had some more Zen Palate (fake beef, Taiwan Noodles, and a chili,) bok choy dumplings, Japanese-style fried rice, and spicy bok choy. The chili was far too sweet and not good at all. The sauce of the chili got all over the rest of my dish making everything a little worse. Grrrr. The spicy bok chow was not spicy and was also not good. Just bad flavors. The Taiwan Noodles were kind of bland. Everything else was good. I really liked the fake Zen Palate Beef.
On my way home, I went through a street fair. Just one block of the street fair was Japanese and Korean stands. I felt like I was walking in Japan. I have not even been there! Almost everyone around my mother and I were Asian. It was amazing. There was Japanese Pop (my favorite style of music.) There was pottery, good luck cats, cloths, and lots of grilled beef and seafood. Despite all the meat, I had a blast walking through what seemed to be a different city. I was amazed. Just a block away, on the normal NYC street fair scene (just as people were packing up,) I saw a place called Strictly Vegetarian. I just had to check it out. My mother told me it was some of the best falafels in the city. How did she know this and I didn't? Anyways, she asked me if on this special occasion, I wanted to let go of my deep-fried rule for today. I said yes. They had about fifteen falafel balls and two sandwiches left. They guy tried to sell us two sandwiches for a cheap price. Because we were carrying our Whole Foods dinner home, we only bought two falafel balls. Since he needed to get rid of the sandwiches in a few minutes, he gave us a sandwich for free. Looks like lunch tomorrow!
Whole Foods make the best vegan white cakes but because I was in a Whole Foods I had never been in before, I tried chocolate cake. It was somewhat stale. I am disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment